on the proven Roundhouse Darjeeling 'B'
coal-fired Darjeeling 'B'
- The Darjeeling Himalayan Railway is one
of the most famous narrow
gauge railways in the world. Situated in India, the railway rises 6850
feet over 50 miles. Construction was between 1878 en 1881.The railways
main motive power is the class "B" 0-4-0 well tank/saddle tank. This
model is typical for these locomotives that are still in use on
- The coal-fired Darjeeling 'B' is easy to drive: you can run
attending coal or water for up to 19-23 minutes (a gas-fired
locomotive runs under similar conditions 20-25 minutes). The
boiler contains all water for a full run. After a run coal and water is
up under steam. The advantages of this coal-firing system are explained
on the SPECIAL
- The valve for topping up the water is hidden inside the cab
at the right side close to the lubricator.
- The stainless drop down fire
door has a built-in damper function to control the heat of the coal
fire and hence the steam pressure. For manual locos see details here.
- The Darjeeling 'B' can be fitted with pressure telemetry and automated damper. See details here.
- Keeping the fire going
is easy due to a very wide and deep fire-box. The stainless
steel ash pan with grate hinges on two pins and can easily be removed.
- The door of the smoke box can be opened and is fitted with a heat
shield on the inside.
smoke box front is lasercut in two parts. In this way the outer part
can easily be painted white like the real locomotive.
- The cab
lay-out is very neat and leaves ample room for a driver. Water gauge
and regulator & blower hand wheel are close to
ample room for a driver
- The water level of the boiler is easy to read because of
the long reading glass of the water gauge. Just like in a real loco,
the red-white or black-white background improves readability of
the reading glass even further.
- A black-white background is fitted as standard. Please let us
know should you want a red-white or no background. Take note that -
caused by heat of the boiler - over the years the white tends towards
beige. Spare black-white and red-white backgrounds come with your
- Your kit comes with a Jacksons Superior bottle. Topping up is
three times faster with less effort.
with red, black-white or no background
Jacksons Superior bottle
- The boiler turrit is prepared for a
kit; adding a
whistle is very easy and needs only this kit and a special banjo bolt.
Other - larger - whistles can be fitted by using a Regner whistle valve
the special banjo bolt. Take note that fitting a whistle later only is
disassembling your locomotive.
mid sized and large whistle
Remote Control (regulator, reverser, whistle
AND damper) can be built in with the RC fittings kit and
combo with servos. Receiver, rechargeables and all servos
except for the regulator servo are fully hidden away. All pictures
on this page show the Darjeeling 'B' with full Remote Control.
- For pictures of a coal-fired Darjeeling 'B' during its build see
the PICTURES DARJEELING page.
fitted R/C plenty room for real coal
the coal-fired Darjeeling 'B'
- You can convert
an existing or new Roundhouse Darjeeling 'B' to coal-firing with
Darjeeling 'B' coal-fired conversion kit. Our kit contains all the
parts for this conversion. Except when
converting a loco with a Roundhouse exhaust enhancer fitted (see FAQs page), you also need to order a pair of normal exhaust pipes from Roundhouse.
- This is not a "build it in one evening" project. However
with care and patience can build
a coal-fired locomotive to be proud of. All painting is left to the
builder, minimal drilling and cutting is necessary. Only simple tools
are needed. More details see FAQs page.
- The Darjeeling 'B'
coal-fired boiler kit comes complete with boiler certificate and step
Darjeeling 'B' with
the smokebox door opened. The white ring on the smokebox
is easily painted because the front is made out of 2 laser-cut plates
Price list RtR
Price list kits
- Darjeeling 'B' coal-fired locomotive ready-to-run, manual,
standard version: €4190.
Other Roundhouse colors at no
cost. All Locos come with 12 months warranty, boiler certificate,
and care instructions.
- Whistle: €80.
- Full radio control: €398.
reverser, whistle (if fitted) and damper (!) are radio
Comes with charger and "ever ready" rechargeable batteries for
transmitter, receiver and electrical blower.
- Darjeeling 'B' coal-fired conversion kit: €1295
(see part list).
converting a new Roundhouse Darjeeling 'B' ordered from Roundhouse
directly, Roundhouse is willing to take back Roundhouse parts you do
not need. And fit normal exhaust pipes instead of an exhaust enhancer. For conditions and details click here
- The Darjeeling 'B' RC fittings kit: €65 (see part list).
- Price list pressure telemetry with automated damper: here.
- Banjo bolt to fit the Regner whistle kit or valve: €14. Larger whistles: please
- Bottom plate for electrical blower suitable for Darjeeling: €15. (see picture)
- Exhaust nozzle 1.2mm: €2.50
(possibly needed when a telemetry receiver is fitted, when running on
lay-outs with wider curves or when running light trains).
- Set of exhaust nozzles (size 0.9, 1.0 and 1.1mm): €7.50 (only when fitting a Slomo, see Slomo page).
Price list accessories
- A set of firing tools:
stainless steel heavy duty electrical
blower; a close to scale yet easy to use stainless steel
shovel; a stainless steel rake & poker; a tube
- High quality anthracite coal in small grains: 2 Kg for €5. On shows only but needs pre-ordering: 10 kg for €20.
- Extra spare SUPERIOR water top-up bottle (topping up is three times
faster with less effort): €12.
question: check out
our FAQ's and ORDERING