on the proven Roundhouse Billy chassis and body
- Elke is based on a design by Orenstein & Koppel (more info on O&K).
- The coal-fired Elke is easy to drive: you can run without
attending coal or water for up to 17-21 minutes (a gas-fired
locomotive runs under similar conditions 20-25 minutes). The
boiler contains all water for a full run. After a run coal and water is
up under steam. The advantages of this coal-firing system are explained
on the SPECIAL
- The Goodall
valve for topping up the water is hidden under the sand dome.
- The stainless drop down fire
door has a built-in damper function to control the heat of the coal
fire and hence the steam pressure. For manual locos see details here.
- The Elke can be fitted with pressure telemetry and automated damper. See details here.
- Keeping the fire going
is easy due to a very deep and wide fire-box. The stainless
steel ash pan with grate hinges on two pins and can easily be removed.
- The door of the smoke box is
removable (or in case of a conversion the complete smoke box is
- The cab
lay-out is very neat and leaves ample room for a driver. The
water gauge and the blower hand wheel are close to
ample room for a driver
- The water level of the boiler is easy to read because of
the long reading glass of the water gauge. Just like in a real loco,
the red-white or black-white background improves readability of
the reading glass even further.
- A black-white background is fitted as standard. Please let us
know should you want a red-white or no background. Take note that -
caused by heat of the boiler - over the years the white tends towards
beige. Spare black-white and red-white backgrounds come with your
- Your locomotive/kit comes with a Jacksons Superior bottle.
Topping up is three times faster with less effort.
with red, black-white or no background
Jacksons Superior bottle
- The boiler dome is prepared for a Regner whistle
kit; adding a
whistle is very easy.
- Full Remote Control (regulator, reverser, whistle
AND damper) can be built in with the Elke RC fittings kit and
combo with servos. Receiver, rechargeables and all servos
except the regulator servo are fully hidden away. The picture
above shows Elke with full Remote Control.
- The stainless steel laser-cut floor plate with cut-out for
the coal-fired boiler is already prepared for Remote Control.
- All Roundhouse enhancements for
Billy can be used in combination with Elke.
- For pictures of locos already built see the PICTURES page. Check out the more INFO page for YouTube videos and pictures of
locos in several stages of building.
shown on our test track, is our little favorite
with a black-white water gauge background)
- Elke can be built with our Elke
Coal-fired Boiler Kit and separately to be purchased Roundhouse
kits and parts.
Alternatively you can convert
an existing Billy to coal-firing with our
Coal-fired Boiler Kit (read the related FAQs).
- Elke is pictured with
optional bufferbeam overlays and cylinder
cladding. The boiler bands and the dome can either be brass
polished or painted. The Roundhouse chassis kit
is available with optional insulated
- This is not a "build it in one evening" project. However
with care and patience can build
a coal-fired locomotive to be proud of. All painting is left to the
builder, minimal drilling and cutting is necessary. Only simple tools
are needed. Read the related FAQs.
- The Elke
Coal-fired Boiler Kit comes complete with boiler certificate and step
Elke is very easy
- Elke coal-fired locomotive ready-to-run as pictured, manual
version: €3690. Other Roundhouse colors at no extra
cost. All Locos come with 12 months warranty, boiler
and care instructions.
- Whistle: €80.
- Full radio control: €398. Regulator,
reverser, whistle (if fitted) and damper (!) are radio
Comes with charger and "ever ready" rechargeable batteries for
transmitter, receiver and electrical blower.
- Elke Coal-fired Boiler Kit: €1150 (see part list).
- The Elke RC fittings kit: €70
(see part list).
- Price list pressure telemetry with automated damper: here.
- Additional Roundhouse parts see checklist Roundhouse.
- Exhaust nozzle 1.2mm: €2.50
(possibly needed when a telemetry receiver is fitted, when running on
lay-outs with wider curves or when running light trains).
- Set of exhaust nozzles (size 0.9, 1.0 and 1.1mm): €7.50 (only when fitting a Slomo, see Slomo page).
- For a conversion you only need the coal-fired boiler kit. Except
when converting a loco with a Roundhouse exhaust enhancer fitted (see
FAQs page), you also need to order a pair of normal exhaust pipes fron
- A set of firing tools:
stainless steel heavy duty electrical
blower; a close to scale yet easy to use stainless steel
shovel; a stainless steel rake & poker; a tube
- High quality anthracite coal in small grains: 2 Kg for €5. On shows only but needs
pre-ordering: 10 kg for €20.
- Extra spare SUPERIOR water top-up bottle (topping up is three
faster with less effort): €12.
Some of the many possible liveries
(tender ask for details)
question: check out
our FAQ's and ORDERING
send us a