on the proven Roundhouse Katie chassis and body
is of typical narrow gauge saddle tank locomotive design. Though not a
model of any particular engine, she draws inspiration and features from
a number of famous builders.
- The coal-fired Irene is easy to drive: you can run without
attending coal or water for up to 17-21 minutes (a gas-fired
locomotive runs under similar conditions 20-25 minutes). The
boiler contains all water for a full run. After a run coal and water is
up under steam. The advantages of this coal-firing system are explained
on the SPECIAL
- The Goodall
valve for topping up the water is hidden under
the filler cap on top of the saddle tank.
- The stainless drop down fire
door has a built-in damper function to control the heat of the coal
fire and hence the steam pressure. For manual locos see details here.
- The Irene can be fitted with pressure telemetry and automated damper. See details here.
- Keeping the fire going
is easy due to a very deep and wide fire-box. The stainless
steel ash pan with grate hinges on two pins and can easily be removed.
- The door of the smoke box is
removable (or in case of a conversion the complete smoke box is
- The cab
lay-out is very neat and leaves ample room for a driver. The
water gauge and the blower hand wheel are close to
ample room for a driver
- The water level of the boiler is easy to read because of
the long reading glass of the water gauge. Just like in a real loco,
the red-white or black-white background improves readability of
the reading glass even further.
- A black-white background is fitted as standard. Please let us
know should you want a red-white or no background. Take note that -
caused by heat of the boiler - over the years the white tends towards
beige. Spare black-white and red-white backgrounds come with your locomotive/kit.
- Your locomotive/kit comes with a Jacksons Superior bottle. Topping up is three times faster with less effort.
with red, black-white or no background The
Jacksons Superior bottle
- The boiler dome is prepared for a Regner whistle
kit; adding a
whistle is very easy.
- Full Remote Control (regulator, reverser, whistle
AND damper) can be built in with the Irene RC fittings kit and
combo with servos. Receiver and rechargeables are
fully hidden away. The servos do occupy minimal space left from the
boiler, keeping the cab uncluttered. All pictures on this page show Irene with full Remote Control.
- All Roundhouse enhancements for
Katie can be used in combination with Irene.
- For pictures of locos already built see the PICTURES page. Check out the more INFO page for YouTube videos and pictures of locos in several stages of building.
is a little beauty
- Irene can be built with our Irene
Coal-fired Boiler Kit and separately to be purchased
Roundhouse kits and parts.
Alternatively you can convert
an existing Katie to coal-firing with our
Irene Coal-fired Boiler Kit (read the related FAQs).
- Irene is pictured with
optional bufferbeam overlays, cylinder
cladding and crosshead,
combination lever & union link. The dome can either be brass
polished or painted. The Roundhouse chassis kit
is available with optional insulated
- This is not a "build it in one evening" project. However
with care and patience can build
a coal-fired locomotive to be proud of. All painting is left to the
builder, minimal drilling and cutting is necessary. Only simple tools
are needed. Read the related FAQs.
- The Irene
Coal-fired Boiler Kit comes complete with boiler certificate and step
Here Irene is fitted with a red-white water gauge
Price list RtR
- Irene coal-fired locomotive ready-to-run, manual,
standard version: €3690. Other Roundhouse colors at no extra
cost. All Locos come with 12 months warranty, boiler
and care instructions.
- The pictured prototype is fitted
with optional combination lever & union links, is lined
by LightLine and has name & builder plates by Narrow
Planet (see FAQ's).
"43" is the boiler serial number and
"2013" is the year of production
- Whistle: €80.
- Full radio control: €398.
reverser, whistle (if fitted) and damper (!) are radio
Comes with charger and "ever ready" rechargeable batteries for
transmitter, receiver and electrical blower.
- Irene Coal-fired Boiler Kit: €1150 (see part list).
- The Irene RC fittings kit: €70 (see part list).
- Price list pressure telemetry with automated damper: here.
- Additional Roundhouse parts see checklist Roundhouse.
- Set of exhaust nozzles (size 0.9, 1.0 and 1.1mm): €7.50. Use these when fitting a Slomo and Telemetry receiver or running light train on layouts with wide curves.
a conversion you need the coal-fired boiler kit only. Except when
converting a loco with a Roundhouse exhaust enhancer fitted (see FAQs page), you also need to order a pair of normal exhaust pipes from Roundhouse.
Price list accessories
- A set of firing tools:
stainless steel heavy duty electrical
blower; a close to scale yet easy to use stainless steel
shovel; a stainless steel rake & poker; a tube
- High quality anthracite coal in small grains: 2 Kg for €5. On shows only
but needs pre-ordering: 10 kg for €20.
- Extra spare SUPERIOR water top-up bottle (topping up is
faster with less effort):
Some of the many possible liveries
question: check out
our FAQ's and ORDERING pages. Or send us